Break into the comedy business - gain the writing skills and industry know-how to develop an impressive writing portfolio for your comedy writing career
Do you want to push the boundaries of comedy writing to its limits? Are you on a mission to interrogate big ideas like sex, politics, religion and family through comedy? Or do you just want to write a show that’s unashamedly stupid. Whether your preferred comedy genre is sitcom, comedy drama or sketch shows, the world is in a state right now and we all need a laugh. And crucially, it’s your unique and hilarious interpretation of the world that’s required.
With the dramatic rise in subscription-based video content – think Amazon, Netflix and Apple - alongside a renaissance in audio comedy courtesy of podcasts – broadcast comedy is in huge demand. There are lots of opportunities right now and a great need for new comedy writers. At Falmouth University, we want to equip new and emergent comedy writers with the skills, tools and industry-focus which will push their projects to the top of the commissioning editors pile and see their scripts green-lit. On this MA, you’ll study the work of renowned writers and directors, reflect on professional trends and learn how to seize market opportunities.
You’ll develop a comedy script-writing portfolio which will act as a calling card with which to approach comedy producers, comedy commissioners and get agent representation. Who knows, you could see yourself on the way to the BAFTAs, Oscars or Golden Globes with the next Fleabag, VEEP, Modern Family or Father Ted.
Through studying flexibly using our intuitive online learning platform, you will:
- Learn how to write comedy sketches, sitcoms, comedy dramas and develop a body of work for multiple platforms including; radio, TV, film and online.
- Be taught by a host of comedy experts including multi-award-winning TV and Radio comedy producer and Executive Producer, Simon Nicholls who is the course module leader.
- Develop a comedy writing portfolio consisting of scripts, treatments, synopses and your responses to professional comedy briefs which can be used as a calling card to gain agent representation and to present to commissioning editors.
- Structure your working practice as a comedy writer, plotting your day, dealing with writers’ block, working to tight deadlines while remaining funny.
- Understand the role of a commissioner, the criteria by which they assess new writing and what it takes to get your project green-lit.
This online MA has been developed by award-winning comedy producer and executive producer Simon Nicholls. Simon has 20 years comedy industry experience, developing and selling comedies in the UK and US. For the last 3 years Simon has been an Exec Producer in the BBC’s comedy department and is now an independent producer and Exec, whilst developing this MA.
Taught by prolific and award-winning industry professionals passionate about nurturing new talent, you will have access to their extensive network and experience producing high-profile comedy shows.
Who is the course for?
Our online MA Comedy Writing is a great fit if you’re:
- A graduate looking to develop specialist knowledge in writing for comedy
- A comedy practitioner with experience of stand-up, theater, radio, sketch shows who wants to develop a career in writing for comedy
- A fledgling or emergent writer who wants to acquire the skills to adapt existing work for screen
What you’ll learn
The topics you’ll cover during the course include:
- Comic Storytelling for Screen & Audio
- Screen Industries: Professional Development in Comedy
- Individual Comedy Script Development
- Comedy Writer's Room: Collaborative Script Development
- Major Project
Study flexibly online – when and where it suits you
As an online MA Comedy Writing student with Falmouth Flexible, you’ll:
- Enjoy the freedom and flexibility of studying whenever and wherever it suits you thanks to an easy-to-use, intuitive online learning platform which you can access from your desktop or mobile device – anytime, anywhere
- Access the same student benefits as on-campus Falmouth University students, such as a student ID card and eligibility to apply for an NUS student discount card
- Graduate with an internationally-recognised qualification identical in title and quality to that of an on-campus Falmouth University student
Places are limited – Apply now
Places on our online MA in Comedy are limited. To find out more about the course and how you can apply, get in touch with a course advisor by filling in our form.